This post might be a disappointment…. I googled for ‘gater’ images and this was the top result:
Sadly, this post is not about that sort of gater… more the sort that keeps your foot dry and your trousers clean when you’re walking! And I now realise…spelt slightly differerntly!! More useful, but more boring! (Curiously the aligater picture is from a website selling those things that stop your children from shutting their fingers in the door – also more useful and also more boring).
This post is dedicated to our newest follower. She and her handsome dog Skye were walking with me at the weekend and we encountered a lot of mud. Equipped with my gaiters, I could enjoy that childish pleasure of squelching through it… and we’ve decided she needs some too! (Skye the dog on the other hand could not see what the fuss was all about!)
Gaters don’t need to be expensive. Key features to look out for are:
– you must get ones that open all the way down. (Trying to pull the on over your muddy boot is never going to work!)
– front fastening, ideally a zip
– velcro factsning over the zip to keep the wet out. (Velcro is much better than press fasteners – the studs get mud in them & stop working and can go rusty.)
– a clip at the front to latch onto your bottom lace (to prevent the laces getting caked in mud and the water getting in the top of your boots)
– a stirrup that goes under your foot and keeps the gater in place
I have ‘trekmate’ gaters and I’m pleased them. They weren’t expensive and they are easy to put on – L
I have lightweight ones… I didn’t fully appreciate that one of the ways they are ‘lighter weight’ is because they aren’t full length! They are fine, but another time I’d get ones that go further up my legs – R
Hope those tips are sufficient to get you kitted out for any swampy adventures …. see you later aligater!
4 thoughts on “For swampy adventures”
Excellent description of gaiters & their uses! Gators arent bad either!!
Mine have a zip and Velcro but I never use the zip – it is not required and the Velcro is so much easier. Also worth noting that they keep you warmer on a cold day!
LikeLiked by 1 person
I now feel as if I am missing out on the delights of
Hope you like your birthday present…looking forward to some muddy adventures!