Our latest section of the Wayfarers Walk was done by the light of a blue moon. Honestly, it really was! Read about it here.
In the last post you’ll have read about how I picked wild damsons with the intention to make wild damson vodka. Well here’s how I got on.
This is the recipe I adapted for the amount of damsons I had:
- Freeze (or prick, but that sounds fiddley) 170g wild damsons
- Put the damsons in a bottle with 170g white sugar, 340ml vodka and 3 cloves.
- shake every other day for a month
- shake occasionally for 3 months
- strain and bottle
- leave for 6 months to mellow
- serve as a liquer or over ice
So far I’m about 1 month in, so I’m afraid I cannot yet vouch for whether or not this recipe is any good. I’ll let you know next summer!
Disappointingly she wasn’t in to receive us… in fact her house in Steveton is no longer there, but we did get to visit her father’s church! Read about this and the other places we came across on the next stage of the Wayfarer’s Walk.